[Tagging] Tagging of Country Names

Aun Johnsen lists at gimnechiske.org
Sat Nov 5 16:49:46 UTC 2016

> On Nov 5, 2016, at 14:37, tagging-request at openstreetmap.org wrote:
>
> Dave F wrote:
>> What's the difference between 'de facto' & official?
>
> Martin beat me to it, but let me add links for reference, definition
> and examples.
>
> from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_language
>> An official language is a language that is given a special legal status [...] the term "official language" does not typically refer to the language used by a people or country, but by its government.
>

> from https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/de_facto, please appreciate the
> provided sentence for use case.
>> Adjective. de facto ‎(not comparable)
>> In fact or in practice; in actual use or existence, regardless of official or legal status.
>> (Often opposed to de jure.)
>> Although the United States currently has no official language, it is largely monolingual with English being the de facto national language.
>
> The contrary of 'de facto' is 'de jure'
> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/de_jure
>> Adjective. de jure ‎(not comparable)
>> By right, in accordance with the law, legally.
>
> Another good reading is the wikipedia page, particularly the
> introduction at the top
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_facto
> and the part on national languages, quite relevant here.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_facto#National_languages
>

>> Wars have been fought over disagreements between "choices by local
>> community"
>
> Indeed. And when it gets out of control, global community and DataWG
> can intervene if necessary.
>
> But that is not a reason, quite the contrary, to start another war
> between local community and remote/global community. Especially when
> there is no disagreement locally. Even more so when there was
> disagreement locally and it is settled now.
>

> -- altho
We could add (on any admin_level applicable) the tags official_languages (for official languages) and de_facto_languages or common_languages for the de facto languages in the area. This way, local communities that speak a different language than the official language will be identified, and this can be searchable in some way. I would suggest that ISO codes are used for the values of these tags.

Example:
Norway: official_languages=no;nn
Due to the different dialects (no/nn), some (many) municipalities have chosen one of these, admin_level=7 + official_language=no
Some municipalities have a significant Samii population speaking their Samii dialect, and a number of these have included this in official languages (not familiar with ISO code for the Samii dialects)

USA: common_languages=en, with certain areas having common_language=es, or other that might be actual. Some native reserves would have common_language={iso code of tribal language}

Any thoughts?

Aun Johnsen