[Tagging] Tagging of Country Names

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 21:59:14 UTC 2016

On 06-Nov-16 03:49 AM, Aun Johnsen wrote:
>> On Nov 5, 2016, at 14:37, tagging-request at openstreetmap.org wrote:
>>
>> Dave F wrote:
>>> What's the difference between 'de facto' & official?
>> Martin beat me to it, but let me add links for reference, definition
>> and examples.
>>
>> from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_language
>>> An official language is a language that is given a special legal status [...] the term "official language" does not typically refer to the language used by a people or country, but by its government.
>>
>> from https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/de_facto, please appreciate the
>> provided sentence for use case.
>>> Adjective. de facto ‎(not comparable)
>>> In fact or in practice; in actual use or existence, regardless of official or legal status.
>>> (Often opposed to de jure.)
>>> Although the United States currently has no official language, it is largely monolingual with English being the de facto national language.
>> The contrary of 'de facto' is 'de jure'
>> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/de_jure
>>> Adjective. de jure ‎(not comparable)
>>> By right, in accordance with the law, legally.
>> Another good reading is the wikipedia page, particularly the
>> introduction at the top
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_facto
>> and the part on national languages, quite relevant here.
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_facto#National_languages
>>

>>> Wars have been fought over disagreements between "choices by local
>>> community"
>> Indeed. And when it gets out of control, global community and DataWG
>> can intervene if necessary.
>>
>> But that is not a reason, quite the contrary, to start another war
>> between local community and remote/global community. Especially when
>> there is no disagreement locally. Even more so when there was
>> disagreement locally and it is settled now.
>>

>> -- altho
> We could add (on any admin_level applicable) the tags official_languages (for official languages) and de_facto_languages or common_languages for the de facto languages in the area. This way, local communities that speak a different language than the official language will be identified, and this can be searchable in some way. I would suggest that ISO codes are used for the values of these tags.
>
> Example:
> Norway: official_languages=no;nn
> Due to the different dialects (no/nn), some (many) municipalities have chosen one of these, admin_level=7 + official_language=no
> Some municipalities have a significant Samii population speaking their Samii dialect, and a number of these have included this in official languages (not familiar with ISO code for the Samii dialects)
>
> USA: common_languages=en, with certain areas having common_language=es, or other that might be actual. Some native reserves would have common_language={iso code of tribal language}
>
> Any thoughts?

The ISO aus code may contain over 250 languages ... while many of these
can be understood by their neighbours .. things do drift across the
country. There maybe a need to have additions for these within OSM
tagging in the future where more detail could be added to the map.
See https://www.ethnologue.com/statistics/family   I can find no code
for these .. so at this time it may need to be stated as the actual
language/tribe name where known e.g. name:aus:mindi=*
I don't see this as having any impact on the present country name
discussion, at least at the present level.