[Tagging] Tagging of Country Names

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 13:21:16 UTC 2016

sent from a phone

> Il giorno 27 ott 2016, alle ore 01:24, Dave F <davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com> ha scritto:
>
> Not true. It makes sense wherever you are. Official:name allows a rendering of official names of that country & individual 'names:*=' allows rendering for specific languages.

+1 (it's actually "official_name") - and "name" allows for rendering of the default name - unless that's disputed and the "name" tag is empty (more commonly in multilingual areas you will find several languages together in the same default "name" tag).

official_name and name:lang tags are the least disputed, it's "name" where most of the problems are (in some regions): some people insist on putting only official names into the "name" tag, others insist in on the ground names like those written on signs, or those used by the locals.

Admittedly, all this is more related to sub-country names (places, streets, etc) than to country names, maybe we should extend the scope of this discussion to place names in general?

cheers,
Martin