[Tagging] Differentiating streets with official name from non-official yet name

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 17:24:18 UTC 2016

> Exactly this.
> There are streets named since the beggining, but they aren't officialized
> yet.
> They could even have their name changed after being officialized, but
> they aren't loc_name nor reg_name; they are in fact the "name".

this whole "official name" story isn't completely obvious either. Who is
the entity to decide on the name? What if different "official" entities
have different ideas about it? E.g. in Italy it's up to the municipality (I
think) to decide on the street names. The municipal council will have
assigned the names in the past, but now there is another entity, the
national agency for statistics, who has decided on the details of
orthography in street names - nationwide, and the lists they publish follow
these rules. The local councils should make new laws to change the names
accordingly, but not all have done so. And even if they had, they will not
have changed all signs (too expensive), but what is on the ground is quite
important for us in osm, because it's what our users will find on the
ground.

Cheers,
Martin