[Tagging] Proper Tag for Not-a-Roundabout

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Tue Nov 8 11:53:42 UTC 2016

On 08.11.2016 12:07, Daniel Hofmann wrote:
> querying for (junction!=roundabout) and (note~"roundabout|Kreisverkehr")
>
> The routing engine could do the same parsing note tags.
> This would allow us to classify probably all popular ones at least.
>
> But it's a hack and that's exactly my point: there should be a proper
> tagging scheme to tag this.

I agree that the junction tag could be given a value for those circular
traffics that are not a roundabout. However it needs to be a positive
tag describing the situation, and a negative what it is not. Otherwise
the robotic minds of some mappers will attach the "not-a-roundabout" to
every other junction!

Thus junction=circular_traffic or junction=traffic_circle would work for
me. It would be helpful to get the American English perspective
beforehand, to avoid using something too much a synonym to roundabout.

Oxford: "traffic circle ; N-Amer; a road junction at which traffic moves
in one direction around a central island."
Does this imply any priority regulation??

 > what about
 > junction=circular
 > or circular_crossing
 > or circular_junction

those are good as well, and avoid AmE/BrE conflicts. "circular" is nice
and concise.

tom