[Tagging] Proper way to tag highways located in "dangerous" areas

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 10:22:26 UTC 2016

> Since they can't find another tag to indicate those "dangerous"
> places, they argue that access=destination is valid for this case.
>
> Other group (including me) find that this is wrong: we should not tag
> streets considered dangerous in OSM (specially when "dangerous" is
> subjective).
> We also think that access=destination is being wrongly used for this.
>
> Since we can't reach a consensus on this, we would like to hear some
> opinions and suggestions on how to handle such problem, please.

"dangerous" or not may be a subjective assessment, and might also depend on
yourself (if your color of skin is not white you might perceive areas with
a high percentage of KKK or nazi population as dangerous, or if you are of
the upperclass you might perceive areas where the poor people live, as
dangerous, at least in some regions of the world).

Generally, the meaning of "access=destination" is commonly agreed on to be
a legal restriction (typically for vehicles and applied like this:
vehicle=destination), so it clearly is not correct for the situation you
describe. There is also previous discussion on this in the wiki:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Key:access/
Archive#Access_restrictions_for_dangerous_areas.3F

The idea to tag this kind of things is not completely new to OSM, there
have been discussions in the past. (see below). There are also other tags
besides "access" that could evventually be used for this, although it
really depends on the circumstances (who will assess the "danger
potential", how, and can it be verified by other mappers, etc.).
Some tags that maybe could be further discussed / analyzed / extended for
this scope:

* https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/hazard

* https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:informal  (likely the potential
for danger is higher in "informal" settlements than in those designed in
respect of building codes and other regulations)

* https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Obstacle

Cheers,
Martin

some discussions of this or similar topics:
* https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2010-June/051095.html
* https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2010-June/051146.html
* https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2015-March/072268.html