[Tagging] Proper way to tag highways located in "dangerous" areas

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Nov 17 19:42:45 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 7:04 PM, Nelson A. de Oliveira <naoliv at gmail.com>
wrote:

> It's the second time that we are having a major discussion here in
> Brazil, on how to tag highways located in "dangerous" areas.

Don't.  Too subjective, and tends to highlight some kinds of bigotry while
basically giving a pass to other kinds.

Plus what's dangerous for some people is a cakewalk for others; I don't
think there's a spot in Tulsa County I would think twice about walking
alone and distracted at 3AM in, but being two ways a minority, that also
makes pretty much anything within an hour's drive of a major city in the
northwest a fairly dangerous place for me despite it being my hometown.  I
also know plenty of people back in Portland who think I'm nuts and have
that all backwards, but...scars show otherwise on that.

I don't think it's appropriate to put into the main toolchain or map data
in itself; would be better off as your own specialized mashup keeping in
mind that enormous can of worms...