[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - flight route

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 09:21:17 UTC 2016

This is a complex issue.
Lets start from the end user's point of view:
Flight number XXxxx is sold by airline XX and goes from airport ABC to
airport XYZ, possibly with scheduled intermediate stops at airport DEF (and
possibly more).
That flight is operated by the same airline or by another airline YY as
flight number YYyyy.
The actual flight route is not fixed, but is defined before departure by
the flight's captain.
The flight route has to follow established flight corridors or tracks,
which in turn are not fixed (for example the North Atlantic Tracks [1]).
So what can we map as geographic data in OSM? The airports and that's it.
The "The way making up the route" is not mappable, because it is variable
from instance to instance of the flight.

The only way out I can see, is to accept as "the way making up the route"
fictitious tracks connecting the airports on the shortest route.

(I know that we map already shipping routes, which have, in principle,
similar problems.)

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Atlantic_Tracks)