[Tagging] Railway=station + area=yes questions:

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Mon Oct 3 22:05:24 UTC 2016

> On 4 Oct 2016, at 4:54 AM, Alexander Matheisen <AlexanderMatheisen at ish.de> wrote:
>
> The main problem I see for mapping stations as areas is the lack of
> defined boundaries.

Almost all the stations I deal with are easily defined. They have fences, walls, and bordering private buildings that make it dead-simple to map from imagery.

I know there are stations where it is a little ambiguous, especially if they are small - then use a point!

The fact that OSM has the hierarchy of detail - drop a point, make a building, or draw an area are all options.

OSMs tagging scheme is incomplete to follow that vision. There are missing areas (*cough* landuse=civic), and this is another.

Responding to a different reply:

And yes, a station's bus circle and other amenities are part of the station - a station is where you can switch transportation networks. The stop position node is for the train. The taxi stand nose is for the taxi. Everything is there for the station it is an amenity *of* the station.

You may go to a hotel resort - is the pool part of the hotel? "You can't sleep in the pool!" Of course the pool is part of the hotel. It is a mappable amenity of the larger location.

Javbw