[Tagging] Railway=station + area=yes questions:

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 10:32:15 UTC 2016

On 04-Oct-16 08:50 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> <mailto:61sundowner at gmail.com>>:
>
>     There is a nice diagram of how to map a simple station
>
>     http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:railway%3Dstation#A_Simple_Railway_Station
>     <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:railway%3Dstation#A_Simple_Railway_Station>
>

> I believe this diagram is completely wrong regarding the station area
> and landuse. I suggest to remove or improve it.
> The landuse=railway is not ending at the station boundaries [1]. The
> area depicted as landuse=railway is actually the railway=station area.
>
> The user who made this diagram is the same who removed the area-icon
> from the railway=station article, so it is not astonishing he used a
> node only version in his diagram.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin
>

> [1] "Use landuse
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landuse>=*railway* to
> delineate areas of land owned or operated by railway companies
> (commonly known as the /railway corridor/)."

I believe the error in the diagram to which you refer is that the purple
lines (signifying landuse=railway) should not be joined at either side
of the diagram but continue off as do the railway tracks.

There is a lot of reading on OSM public transport.

The bit on areas for stations is
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:public_transport%3Dstation

This would conflict with the use of railway=station as an area ...
The same tag could be used for all 'stations' (train, bus etc)???
So mapping the station area with the tag 'public_transport=station'
would make sense. And make it consistent. However OSM is full of
inconsistencies!!

I do note that public_transport=station has a status of 'approved' ...
yet railway=station has a status of 'in_use' ... not that I now set much
score by it .. anyone can set the stature to whatever they like .. and
they do.