[Tagging] Admin_level=2 for non-independent countries

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sat Oct 8 12:32:28 UTC 2016

Instead of labelling the city itself with capital=yes, consider adding
the city to the admin boundary with a role of "capital". Like that a
city can easily be capital of multiple administrative units (it might be
a national capital and a provincial capital at the same time) and it
stays distinct from the administrative centre.

A city cannot simply be a "capital" based on its own characteristics
like population or area. Being a capital is a role of a place in the
context of a territory, so putting this on the relation for the
territory seems the most logical place to me.

As the capital and administrative centre are mostly coincident, I would
suggest that adding the "capital" role would only be required for the
exceptional cases. If no capital is specified explicitly, I would assume
that the admin_centre also has that role.

//colin