[Tagging] Admin_level=2 for non-independent countries

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sat Oct 8 15:20:14 UTC 2016

Well, I think there are two different points in here, which need to be
treated separately. Firstly how to represent the relationship between
dependent states and their "parents", and secondly how to link the
capital to the territory it is the capital of. In both cases I think the
boundary relations are the place to put this information. For example
Gibraltar's admin_level=2 relation can have a tag "dependent_on=GBR" (or
something similar), and possibly "designation=dependent_territory".
Alternatively, the UK relation could have Gibraltar as a member with a
role of "dependent_territory", although this would meet the same
controversy as the "subarea" roles which denote a hierarchical
relationship of a local authority with its higher level LA (recursive
relationships).

London could be included in both the England relation and the UK
relation with the "capital" role, although that would be redundant as it
is coincident with the admin_centre anyway.

//colin