[Tagging] Hunting area tagging

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 13:55:59 UTC 2016

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 9:31 AM, Craig Wallace <craigw84 at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> But that is different from an area is managed primarily to benefit
> hunting. eg if they are keeping deer numbers artificially high (feeding
> over winter, or breeding), just to allow as many as possible to be shot.
> Despite the damage this causes to vegetation and other wildlife.

Nobody around here raises deer. We get far more deer than the ecosystem
will support as it is - they show up everywhere as nuisance wildlife. Game
farms such as you describe may exist, but none of the hunting reserves that
I personally have tagged are among them. The closest thing to that model
that I have tagged is that the state operates fish hatcheries and a
pheasant breeding farm for the purpose of restocking over-harvested
species. (The current model that the state has for the pheasant is that
they will release captive-bred pheasant into the wildlife management areas,
to protect more vulnerable and less tasty species such as grouse.)

My apologies if I'm duplicating messages here. I'm having a problem with
some intermediate agent in the mail chain rewriting my 'from' address so
that I'm getting messages held for moderator approval. I'm also having
problems with the touchpad on my laptop sometimes going crazy and
spontaneously registering taps and I think that at least one half-composed
message may have inadvertently been sent.