[Tagging] Hunting area tagging

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Mon Oct 24 16:19:34 UTC 2016

> <mailto:61sundowner at gmail.com>>:
>
>     And reiterate your words " in case of a dedicated area" and
>     mine "For an area dedicated to the hunting of game then landuse=hunting" ..
>     I think that is fairly clear ... dedicated, primary use is hunting.
>
>     Most 'landuse' have more than one function, but the primary use is tagged.
>
>     If the primary use is forest then it could be tagged landuse=forest with a secondary tag of hunting=* as you have put forward.
>     If the primary use is hunting then landuse=hunting should be used.
>

> who is declaring the "primary use"? How would you judge this?
> landuse=forest is the only widely accepted way to tag an area where
> trees grow (besides mapping single trees, and besides the
> landcover=trees property which I myself try to push and besides the
> natural=wood tag which is disputed in meaning because of the unclear
> term "natural"), i.e. if you decided that a forest was meant
> "primarily for hunting", you couldn't map it as a forest...

The whole mix of forest and hunting discussion is amusing. The English
word forest meant an uncultivated area set aside for hunting, usually
with some trees on it. The hunting would often be on horseback. The word
forest has become used as an area full of trees.

Hunting in the UK still often conjures up an image of people on
horseback with a pack of hounds chasing foxes across the (cultivated)
countryside rather than in a forest, which is now banned. Hunts (the
name for the collection of people, horses and dogs) that used to chase
foxes now chase artificial scents and only kill a fox when no one is
watching. Legal hunting for sport in the UK is largely restricted to a
few people who pay to stalk and shoot deer (known as stalking, never as
hunting), a few people who pay to have game birds driven towards them so
they can shoot them (know as shooting, never as hunting) and people who
shoot rabbits and pigeons for the pot with a shotgun.

This is completely different from the idea of hunting elsewhere in the
world. Such diversity means tagging needs to be carefully applied. If
someone tagged the area that a hunt ranges (the horses and dogs type) in
England as hunting=yes and someone else used that to indicate they could
take down local deer with a rifle or a crossbow that would not be good.

--
Cheers, Chris (chillly)