[Tagging] Tagging of Country Names

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Tue Oct 25 19:25:13 UTC 2016

As an inhabitant of one the countries mentioned with multiple official
languages may I quickly chip in: our previous solution was to simply
leave the name tag empty given that stuffing the 4 official language
variants in to the name tags was rather unwieldy and even so none of
them are actually the countries real official name (see
http://official-name-abbreviations-meaning.all-about-switzerland.info/) .

This proved impossible to maintain due to fiddling mappers living in a
neighbour country to the north, so to get a bit of peace and quiet (we
would have been quite happy with using English on the standard
rendering), we opted for the current ungainly solution.

The real simple solution would be to provide a tag with a list of the
countries official languages and then allow the renderer to choose from
them in the cases when you want a non-translated name value (and as said
leave the name tag empty).

Simon