[Tagging] Tagging of Country Names

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Tue Oct 25 19:47:28 UTC 2016

Imagine for a moment an OSM world without the simple name=* tag. All
names have to be qualified with their language, so even in the UK we
would use name:en=*. This would make several things clear:

* every name is in some language or other - useful for pronunciation,
prefix/suffix recognition, etc etc

* OSM is not (primarily) about the map, but the data. Which elements are
visualised on a particular map is up to the rendering, with choices to
suit the particular audience

* It might actually not be possible to make a world map that suits all
of the people, all of the time

It is always easier to combine things, than to separate them. As an
example, in Egypt it should be pretty easy ito concatenate the English
and Arabic names, but not so easy to parse a combined string into the
constituents. The only raison d'etre for name=* is for the renderer....

Maybe we should consistently use int_name or name:int=* for an agreed
(single) international name, which could be used on an international
map. I guess this would usually be the English name (but it doesn't need
to be).

By the way, I notice that no-one has changed the English name of the
Czech Republic into Czechia, as recently decreed by the Czech
government... I am also surprised that (according to the OSM data) that
country is also known as Czech Republic (sic) in languages bi, chy, ee,
hif, ik, pap, sco, and ty. I don't recognise the language codes but I
bet they don't all mean "English". But this is a different can of
worms....

--colin