[Tagging] Tagging of Country Names

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Tue Oct 25 20:30:24 UTC 2016

On 25.10.2016 21:47, Kevin Kenny wrote:
> It gets even more complicated in places of disputed sovereignty, where
> the choice of name makes a political statement and speech is not as free
> as it usually is in the West. In the PRC, it would actually be unlawful
> to put the name 中華民國 (or 中华民国) on a map, while in Taiwan, it
> might be lawful to put 臺灣, but would be regarded as politically
> suspicious. 中华台北 is an ambiguous fiction that satisfies nobody, and
> WTO's 臺澎金馬個別關稅領域 is no better.

That however is a different can of worms, this discussion is mainly
about what countries call the territories over which they have actual
control, not about what some countries would like to call countries that
they have no control over (and there is a fair number of such conflicts).

Naturally even the current topic can be politically/culturally sensitive
(which is one of the reasons we end up with these multiple names names),
but much less so than territorial claims.

> Some problems don't have good solutions.

IMHO trying to make everybody happy wrt such claims is outside the scope
of OSM and unlikely to be possible in any case.

Simon