[Tagging] Tagging of Country Names

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 21:54:49 UTC 2016

On 27-Oct-16 06:56 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> sent from a phone
>
> Il giorno 26 ott 2016, alle ore 16:52, Dave F
> <davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com <mailto:davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com>> ha
> scritto:
>
>> Isn't that what we have atm & where much of the ambiguity stems from?
>

> I don't think so, at least not where Sven wants to change it.
>

>> 'official' names appears the correct way to proceed & like others
>> have suggested, ignore the 'name=' tag.
>

> if we go with "official" we will always be on the side of the
> powerful, and we will completely ignore other aspects. Take the Basque
> area as example, it is not long ago, that only French and Spanish
> (according to the side you are looking at) were officially recognized,
> we would have completely ignored the native Basque population with
> this rule.
>
> Also, if you write "official language", would this include recognized
> minority languages? Should we have a different tag for this?
> See here for example about the only one "official language" in France
> and other relevant languages:
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_policy_in_France

Rather than ignore the most frequently used name tag I would try to
refine it ... at the moment the osmwiki says "the primary tag used for
naming an element" and then later on "the common default name. (Note:
For disputed areas, please use the name as displayed on e.g. street
signs for the name tag. Put all alternatives into either localized name
tags (e.g. name:tr/name:el) or the variants (e.g.
loc_name/old_name/alt_name). Thank you.) "

Perhaps "The local, commonly used, name of a feature."

There are already many variations of the name tag .. including one
'official'.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:name