[Tagging] Tagging of Country Names

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 23:06:05 UTC 2016

For names of countries, I'd suggest that they should be in whatever the
local mappers to a country consider the predominant language to be. For
users in other locales, presumably we have active enough English-speaking,
German-speaking, and so on communities that name:en, name:de, etc. would be
populated quickly - and any edit to 'name=*' that removes an English name
should add 'name:en=*' with the name.

That's enough for a renderer of a world map to render country names
localized for its intended users.

It does nothing for the names of smaller places. There, either we could
rely on Wikidata (slow!) or we could agree to start populating name:XX=
when convenient, so that 北京市 could be 'Bắc Kinh', 'Běijīng',  'Beijing'.
'Pékin', 'Peking', 'Pequín' or '베이징 시' as needed.

I think that's the most neutral possible answer: 'keep whatever the local
mappers use as the country name, and provide translations if someone takes
enough interest to enter them.' That's really what applies to any
geographic name.

One hopes that Thai local mappers will be judicious enough to enter either
บางกอก or
กรุงเทพฯ, and not burden the world with กรุงเทพมหานคร อมรรัตนโกสินทร์
มหินทรายุธยา มหาดิลกภพ นพรัตนราชธานีบูรีรมย์ อุดมราชนิเวศน์มหาสถาน
อมรพิมานอวตารสถิต สักกะทัตติยวิษณุกรรมประสิทธิ์, even though that's the
official name of the city we Westerners call 'Bangkok'.