[Tagging] [OSM-talk] Artwork problems

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Thu Sep 1 22:35:06 UTC 2016

W dniu 31.08.2016 13:04, Janko Mihelić napisał(a):
> čet, 25. kol 2016. u 15:30 Daniel Koć <daniel at koć.pl> napisao je:
>
>> I've also noticed that the line between artworks and memorials is
>> blurred, especially with statues
>
> In my opinion, we can use both tags. If something is a sculpture, add
> tourism=artwork+artwork_type=sculpture. If it is a sculpture whose
> main purpose is to remind us of a person or an event, add
> historic=memorial.
>
> About the icon, I think we should add a new key, something like
> sculpture_shape. It could have countless values, and only the most
> frequent would have their unique icon. Values would be: human, child,
> human_sitting, human_standing, human_on_horse, bust, horse, dog,
> abstract. Those account for about 95% of sculptures. Others get the
> default icon. Having an approximate shape of a sculpture on a map
> helps a lot with orientation in space.

Both tags are somewhat overlapping and historic=memorial already has
some types:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:memorial:type
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:memorial

There are 3 equivalents of a common case (memorial in the form of
statue):
- historic=memorial + memorial:type=statue
- historic=memorial + memorial=statue
- historic=memorial + tourism=artwork + artwork_type=statue

Which one should we use as canonical form?

How do we know when "main purpose is to remind us of a person or an
event" or is just decorative?

Where the sculpture_shape really belongs to? Is it somehow like
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/artwork_subject#values ? It sounds
like artwork_type=sculpture + sculpture_shape=*, but what about statue?
Do we need another type like artwork_type=statue + statue_shape=*?

But this is rather subject for a Tagging list - let's move there.

--
"To co ludzie zwą marskością wątroby/ Tak naprawdę jest śmiercią z
tęsknoty" [Afro Kolektyw]