[Tagging] Roads with no speed limits

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sat Sep 3 14:24:49 UTC 2016

Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> writes:

> These maxspeeds derived from highway type are perfectly verifiable - by
> checking the highway laws of the territory concerned. A motorway in the
> UK has a maxspeed of 70mph, and you don't need a speed limit sign to
> tell you that. In Europe when you enter a "settlement" (passing a sign
> with the name of the settlement) the speed limit (in many countries)
> becomes 50kph, and you don't need a sign for that either.

I agree (US perspective).  The doctrine of verifiability is overdone;
the point should be that a normal mapper has the ability to verify, not
just things that are visually apparent.

In the US, the notion of motorway/primary/etc. is messier, as it's a
force fit of UK norms.  In my state, speed limits are, unless otherwise
posted, 50 mph if divided, 40 mph if not divided, and 30 mph if "thickly
settled".  There are often yellow (advisory) signs that say thickly
settled when coming to an area where the police want you to think the
density exceeds the thickly settled definition.

For map speed limits to be useful, they should definitely be tagged
explicitly.  Overzealous declining to tag because of an extreme
definitino of verifiability does a disservice to users.