[Tagging] Help required on tagging a "wadi"

David Bannon dbannon at internode.on.net
Sun Sep 4 23:43:09 UTC 2016

On 05/09/16 04:34, Greg Wickham wrote:
> In Saudi Arabia a wadi is a mostly dry riverbed that carries water
> very infrequently (maybe a couple of times year).
>
> Would these tags be ok for a: “sandy bottomed wadi; 4wd only"
> waterway = wadi
> intermittent = yes
> highway = track
> tracktype = grade4
> 4wd_only = yes
> surface = unpaved

Greg, I think you have the tags right but I'd rather see the waterway
and highway mapped as separate ways, even if they superimpose. While
they may be in the same place, they are different things.  If the wadi
is like what we see here in Oz, its probably pretty wide and may be best
mapped as an area rather than a line, that way, the highway way would be
more distinguishable. And we need be realistic about their position and
accept they move.

David