[Tagging] Amphitheatre or outdoor non-sports venue

moltonel moltonel at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 09:41:18 UTC 2016

On 14 September 2016 09:42:59 GMT+01:00, johnw <johnw at mac.com> wrote:
>after searching the wiki for the correct spelling of amphitheatre
>(oops),  I found:
>
>https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dtheatre
><https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity=theatre>
>
>"For tagging amphitheatres
><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphitheatre>, open-air or outdoor
>theatres, the Talk page
><https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:amenity%3Dtheatre#open_air_theatre>
>suggests using theatre:type
><https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:theatre:type&action=edit&redlink=1>=amphi
><https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:theatre:type%3Damphi&action=edit&redlink=1>.”
>

>*sigh*  what is an Amphi? theatre:type=amphitheatre makes more sense,
>and the other types I suggest would be :type=natural and :type=stage.
>
>looking for input on how to reconcile arts_centre and theatre.

An art_centre has a much wider scope than a theare. It's not just about plays, coursee are held there, etc (see wiki). IMHO an amphitheatre is definitely an amenity=theatre, not art_centre.

http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/theatre%3Atype#values is fairly well established, and 'amphi' seems to be a mundane abbrev of 'amphitheatre'
--
Vincent Dp