[Tagging] Amphitheatre or outdoor non-sports venue

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 13:48:05 UTC 2016

sent from a phone

> Il giorno 14 set 2016, alle ore 10:42, johnw <johnw at mac.com> ha scritto:
>
> *sigh*  what is an Amphi? theatre:type=amphitheatre makes more sense, and the other types I suggest would be :type=natural and :type=stage.

the latter two don't make much sense, especially "stage" (you can rarely find a theatre without a stage).

Generally I want to point out that amphitheatres should be round (circular or oval), places like these are not amphitheatres:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidauros#/media/File:Theater_Epidauros.jpg (~330BC, one kf the most famous ancient theatres), at least not in German or Italian, and English Wikipedia seems to confirm this, but I have also found websites describing it as amphitheatre

> looking for input on how to reconcile arts_centre and theatre.

Wikipedia en says about arts centres: An art centre or arts center is distinct from an art gallery or art museum. An arts centre is a functional community centre with a specific remit to encourage arts practice and to provide facilities such as theatre space, gallery space, venues for musical performance, workshop areas, educational facilities, technical equipment, etc.[1]

This seems quite different to a theatre (a "theatre space" already indicates it is not a "real" theatre, where everything is focused on the theatre.

cheers,
Martin