[Tagging] Tagging memorial sites

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 08:59:34 UTC 2016

There's a lot of memorials that commemorate battles, mass killings, an
idea, or some other notable thing. Sometimes it's a plaque or a statue, but
sometimes it's a huge site. Examples are:

Battle of Mohács memorial:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mohacs_Monument_at_the_Battlefield_2004.JPG
tagged as leisure=park + historic=monument

Jasenovac concentration camp memorial:
http://www.tjedno.hr/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Putopis-Jasenovac.jpg
tagged as tourism=museum

Berlin Holocaust memorial:
http://harvardpolitics.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Holocaust_Memorial_Berlin.jpg
tagged as historic=monument

Dachau concentration camp:
https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0b/14/21/8f/kz-dachau.jpg
tagged as historic=memorial

9/11 memorial:
http://s131170.gridserver.com/sites/pwp/images/inline/voids_02.jpg
tagged as leisure=park + historic=memorial

Four freedoms park:
http://www.designboom.com/weblog/images/images_2/danny/FDR/FDR10.jpg
tagged as leisure=park

Some of those really are also parks. They are inside a city, you can come
there and eat a sandwich. But others, like Jasenovac, aren't really parks,
although they are mostly grassy area. You really come there only because
you want to commemorate the event it talks about.

Do we need a new tag, like historic=memorial_site? Historic=memorial is
already established as an object, smaller than monument. How can we than
use it for large sites?

Janko