[Tagging] Cenotaph WAS Re: Tagging memorial sites

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 10:08:17 UTC 2016

On 21-Sep-16 10:58 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> <mailto:kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com>>:
>
>     Be as pedantic as you please. I'll be happy to tag a cenotaph or
>     three if a consensus ever emerges.
>

> just use any tag you feel appropriate. If there will ever be a
> consensus that tomb=cenotaph is a bad tag and a better tag is chosen,
> you can easily change your objects. If you don't tag it, nobody can
> find it ;-) You can (also additionally) add a memorial:type=cenotaph.

Tomb = a place with something (remains/body/ashes etc)
Cenotaph = a place without that something (remains/body/ashes etc)

If tomb=cenotaph then money in your bank account = no money in your bank
account? You can send it to me. :)

--------------------------
I would think most cenotaphs are in commemoration of WW1 & WW2 ... and
as such are specifically mentioned in the OSM wiki for historic=memorial
as "usually remembering special persons, peoples lost their lives in the
wars. "

I have just gone through the LPI cenotaphs (valid&legal OSM data) and
added those not in the data base as historic=memorial with
description=cenotaph ... in this way I avoided invention yet another
tag.  You can add the description tag to anything .. even a tomb.
I have also add the description tag to some cenotaphs I know that are
not in the LPI data base (but in the OSM data base .. I added them some
time ago).  I know there are a lot more around .. used infrequently ..
11 November and ANZAC day spring to mind.