[Tagging] Discarding converted_by

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 10:50:44 UTC 2016

On 23/09/2016 04:06, Nelson A. de Oliveira wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Do we have any need for "converted_by"
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/converted_by#values or it could
> be discarded while modifying an object, exactly what we already do
> with "created_by" and some other tags? (ie, we won't mass remove the
> tag, but only drop it while editing an object with this tag).
>
> I am asking this because it seems to be as unimportant as created_by
> (it doesn't add any useful information).

It seems to have been used where people have converted GPS tracks to OSM
ways without visual review, so I'd expect it to be extremely useful for
checking where wayward GPS traces need to be straightened out.

Obviously, once a way has been aligned based on all the best available
sources (other GPS traces, imagery, whatever else is available) it would
make sense to remove it manually.

Cheers,
Andy