[Tagging] Sport pitch surfaces: artificial/man_made

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 22:01:13 UTC 2016

On 25-Sep-16 12:51 AM, Colin Smale wrote:

> On 2016-09-24 16:34, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>

>> sent from a phone

>>> "Tartan" is also a trade name as I understand it.
>>
>> seems so, yes, that's why artificial_turf was introduced AFAIR, but
>> still tartan is currently used more often
> They are different things - artificial turf is a direct grass
> replacement (for soccer, hockey etc), tartan is specifically for
> athletics tracks
> I suppose in the old days there were grass athletics tracks (like when
> I was at school) but I don't think many competitions are held on grass
> now.

I have tagged some 'athletic' (running) tracks that are grass (at least
they appear that way from imagery). These are usually continuous with
the inside of the field and in cases where there is an outside
continuous with that too.

Some of  'athletic' (running) tracks have been 'artificial' (red when
seen from imagery,I have tagged these as 'paved'). While you might not
like the tag 'paved' for these .. it is a far as I would go in
describing the surface using imagery.