[Tagging] tagging floodplain

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Sun Sep 25 13:32:55 UTC 2016

> On Sep 25, 2016, at 3:30 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> There is a draft to tag floodplains using the key natural.
>

> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/floodplain
>

> My thinking is that this would lead to conflicts with other 'natural' tags .. like natural=scrub than may be applied to the same area.
>

> So .. what would be the best key to use for this feature/value?
>
> I am thinking that as it is associated with a waterway (it must start to flood from somewhere and that is usually a waterway) that the key waterway should be used. It would have rendering similar to a lake - but 'intermittent' so dashed lines rather than a solid colour.
>

> Thoughts?
>

> {There is presently flooding in some areas of Australia, why my thoughts have turned to this. All too soon it will turn to bushfires}

Concur that natural=floodplain will be in conflict with other tags likely to be used on the same area. natural=sand, natural=scrub, natural=grassland all come to mind for areas I am familiar with which are in flood plains.

On that page there is a link to flood_prone=yes which seems to be a usable tag to me, so I don’t see the reason for a new tag. Though “prone” has a connotation of fairly frequent occurrences while in the desert areas I am familiar with, you can go decades between events that will have enough water to cover a flood plain.