[Tagging] tagging floodplain

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 22:17:06 UTC 2016

On 25-Sep-16 08:48 PM, Colin Smale wrote:
> Where would the boundary be? How could we describe it objectively? In
> low lying areas such as the Netherlands there are sometimes so called
> winter dykes which give a sharp edge to the flood plain. Otherwise it
> would all be a bit vague around the edges.
> //colin

Problems of defining a boundary exist with river banks too.

Here is a document on part of a flood plain .. only about 60 kms long.
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/resources/floodplains/120163JemalongCondobolinFMP.pdf
Note that the document is copyright ... Yes boundaries are a 'bit
vague', they are a 'bit vague' for scrub, wood, sand etc too.

> On 25 September 2016 12:30:50 CEST, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     There is a draft to tag floodplains using the key natural.
>

>     http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/floodplain
>

>     My thinking is that this would lead to conflicts with other 'natural'
>     tags .. like natural=scrub than may be applied to the same area.
>

>     So .. what would be the best key to use for this feature/value?
>
>     I am thinking that as it is associated with a waterway (it must start to
>     flood from somewhere and that is usually a waterway) that the key
>     waterway should be used. It would have rendering similar to a lake - but
>     'intermittent' so dashed lines rather than a solid colour.
>

>     Thoughts?
>

>     {There is presently flooding in some areas of Australia, why my thoughts
>     have turned to this. All too soon it will turn to bushfires}

Sub tags could be used to tag frequency etc. These tags could also be
used on floodways that are already part of OSM mapping.. so should be
something like flood:frequency=10 years.