[Tagging] tagging floodplain

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 08:58:32 UTC 2016

On 26-Sep-16 06:03 PM, Colin Smale wrote:

> On 2016-09-26 09:52, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>
>> sent from a phone
>>
>> Il giorno 26 set 2016, alle ore 02:00, Colin Smale
>> <colin.smale at xs4all.nl <mailto:colin.smale at xs4all.nl>> ha scritto:
>>
>>> I don't have my own definition, and I don't want to make up a new
>>> one. A quick search revealed these:
>>>
>>>   * anearlyflatplainalongthecourseofastreamorriverthatisnaturally
>>>     subjecttoflooding.
>>>   * an area of low, flat land along a stream or river that may flood
>>>   * an area of land built up from soil left by floods
>>>   * level land that may be submerged by floodwaters
>>>     <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/floodwaters>
>>>   * a plain built up by stream deposition
>>>
>>> They all sound rather open to interpretation, but they are all based
>>> on natural phenomena, not government classifications.
>>>
>> the definitions you found are all reasonable for natural=floodplain
>> and are all describing the same situation, although with different
>> focus on which aspect is named.
>> The definition given above in this thread describing government
>> dedication of land is not suitable for the natural tag and should go
>> into the boundary tag (and subkeys), if entered into osm at all.
> Exactly, problem solved. Despite the title, this thread is not about
> flood plains, but designated flood risk zones. Conflating them with
> floodplains is wrong.

NO!

I gave a link to a document with a map of a sample area... it contained
that statement.. at NO time was I proposing using that definition (which
I had not read .. I was simply looking for an example of the area).

But by all mean misconstrue it whatever way you want ...

The problem is how to tag floodplains.. so far this is diverted into;

how to define it ...
how to determine it ... with some accuracy (why? Where is the accuracy
in determining a woodland? Where is the accuracy in determining an area
of sand? They are all 'fuzzy' ... they are all indications .. not
absolutes.
I sure there will be other topics of equal value to someone ... with
some link to tagging a floodplain.

So ... thanks ... I'll just go do mapping it the way I think would be
best. Bye.