[Tagging] [OSM-talk] non-temporary usage of highway=road

Aun Johnsen lists at gimnechiske.org
Tue Sep 27 16:38:27 UTC 2016

I can understand that mapathon contributors want to map high speed, and rather apply =road to everything instead of doing qualified guessing of wether to tag as path, unclassified, residential, pedestrian, or higher ranking roads. Sometimes I see tagging that is pure laziness, i.e., a bridge tagged road connecting two ways of tertiary. Such tagging laziness breaks routing. Further, large areas mapped as road will show up on OSM mapnik, but might not show on external data consumers

As long as the tag is still being used, a warning about temporary nature should be given

Also Brazil have, as many countries a tagging convention regarding highways, all armchair mappers should take their time to check up such tagging conventions when mapping far from their local area

Sent from my iPhone