[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (office=courier)

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Sat Apr 15 01:02:32 UTC 2017

Javbw
> On Apr 15, 2017, at 7:48 AM, muzirian <muzirian at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> But still many vote against just because they think post office tag is enough for this

I'm surprised people can't see the separation (or understand it might be different in other countries), similar to how police and fire services are different from a armored truck service or a home security company. There are some overlap - but if you confused a post office and a Local kuroneko delivery branch with similar signage/iconography/etc here in Japan, people would en masse abandon your map - they are used so much more often than a US post office and treated so differently.

They have a written character (a variant of テ) in their language that is only used for post offices:  〒 using it for anything else is actively trying to break the map. You can find it on the "post  office" emoji(at least in iOS). 🏣 there is a reason it is in Unicode as "postal mark" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_postal_mark

Recently they added a "European post office" with a little horn, I imagine it is a different business than DHL.

I know it would be pretty easy use operator or another tag value to add different icon to the map, but beyond moving proper tagging /rendering from the data users to the OSM dataset, I'm using this to show that people differentiate the post office from other services and that should be reflected in the tagging from the start. Maybe the USPS and FedEx offer similar services in the US (besides some government forms), but there big differences between them in other countries, and that should be able to be represented.

Javbw.