[Tagging] "Feature Proposal - RFC - (office=courier)"

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 09:54:51 UTC 2017

On 16-Apr-17 05:34 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 10:04 AM, Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com
> <mailto:marc.gemis at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 2:14 PM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org
>     <mailto:baloo at ursamundi.org>> wrote:
>     > How is it not a post office that just happens to have an
>     operator other than
>     > the state?
>
>     So if I ask you "where is the nearest post office?" , it is possible
>     that you send me to a DHL office ?
>

> If it's not unambiguous by context that one is expecting a US Post
> Office specifically, I might point you in the direction of a Postal
> Annex, UPS Store, FedEx Office or Lone Star Express, since they all
> offer approximately the same services (passport photos, shipping and
> packaging being the common elements) and are probably closer than a US
> Post Office.  Now, if someone were to ask me "Where's the post office
> for 74137", then I'd give 'em directions to the US Post Office in
> downtown Jenks, Oklahoma, which serves that town and adjacent
> neighborhoods in Tulsa.

When I ask for a 'post office' in Australia, New Zealand or the UK ... I
get directed to a government run official Post Office (Australia Post,
New Zealand Post or Royal Mail).
It has been some time, but when I was last in Greece and asked for a
'post office' the directions then were also to a government run official
Post Office.
I would find it most strange to be directed to a courier!

I have had some difficulty in getting some American internet firms to
'post' stuff rather than 'courier' it.
Once they do it though they seam less reluctant the next time, once I
even got a email saying how efficient the USPS was for the dispatch.
There are some US firms that only send by USPS! There are others that
refuse to do so and therefore lack my custom.

My impression is that worldwide the branding of 'Post Office' implies a
government run service with international links to other 'Post Offices'.
A 'posted' item would be through the 'Post Office' no mater the sending
or receiving countries.

A 'couriered' item could be dispatched by one firm and then delivered by
another firm as some firms do not have worldwide coverage but rely on
agreements with other firms.