[Tagging] Disaster response

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Mon Apr 17 11:55:22 UTC 2017

There was a discussion recently, though I cannot find it, about 'civil defense'-like services,
responding to major emergencies.

They still lack an internationally suitable tag. There is an Australian attempt
(emergency=ses_station) that gains some international interest, though it is an incomprehensible
acronym for anybody else. Usage is still small enough for a better value.

The result of the discussion was IIRC, that different countries have different organisational
structures, and they are not always civil or governmental organisations (might be subordinated to
military for example), or there might be several organisations in one country.

Thus we need a tag that avoids to imply the organisational form.

emergency=disaster_response

comes to my mind, which is not used before and is neutral both in organisation and being volunteer
or not. It focuses on the purpose.

The specific national service could be subtagged, such as disaster_response=australian_ses or
disaster_response=thw or =technisches_hilfswerk in Germany. Properties, like civil or run by
military or an NGO, having volunteers, etc, can be subtagged.

The tag should only be used for stations actually providing support, having technical equipment etc,
not for the offices, agencies, ministries that are purely organisational.

Opinions?

Tom

PS: some potential organisations from the wiki discussion (some are probably the agency and not the
station):

     Germany: Bundesamt für Bevölkerungsschutz und Katastrophenhilfe (BBK) /
              Technisches Hilfswerk THW
     Austria: Oberösterreichischer Zivilschutzverband
     Australia: State Emergency Service
     Brazil: Civil defense in Brazil
     Greece: Oberösterreichischer Zivilschutzverband (Civil Protection)
     Ukraine: Державна служба України з надзвичайних ситуацій (State Emergency Service)
     México: Protección Civil
     España: Protección Civil
     Czechia: Civilní obrana