[Tagging] Landuse and Zoning (Was: Tagging for the Renderer)

Tom Hardy rhardy702 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 09:39:02 UTC 2017

On Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:22:27 AM CDT Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> I am not completely sure, but I think zoning maps are
> prescriptive, while osm landuse is about the actual current
> landuse, and in some cases this might differ.

Yes, they are certainly intended to be prescriptive, but if they are
to make any sense in relatively developed areas they have to reflect
as well as shape ground truth.  They could be useful when combined
with local knowledge.  Looking further...

<http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/zoningmaps/zoning_zoning-district-descriptions> shows primary districts (with subtypes) of Residence,
Office Residence, Commercial, Industrial, and Downtown. Not too bad.
A link at the top of the page will take you to actual maps.

It also has overlay districts. The "Floodplain Overlay District"
could possibly be useful, and for some reason the "Industrial living
Overlay District" tweaks my interest.

Another approach.  Minneapolis and environs have named neighborhoods
with posted signage, but the borders are never clear.  A little
googling gives http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/maps/neighborhoods ,
which leads to maps complete with structures and housenumbers.

Ohh, that begins to look like an import project....

Or is someone already doing it?

--
Tom Hardy <rhardy702 at gmail.com>