[Tagging] Quonset hut

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 21:03:02 UTC 2017

> 1. Am I allowed to add such a key?

you can add a proposal for any kind of feature and definition. You can add
other content including in use tags to document current usage. A handful of
objects tagged with a certain tag probably will be better documented as a
proposal anyway, but if you are fairly sure that there won't be opposition,
you might also add rarer (but used) values to the wiki, e.g. by extending a
list.

> 2. How does it work? I've never done this before so help is very much
> appreciated.

there's a page about the proposal process here, otherwise you might
consider to add stuff to "talk(discussion)" pages or if you feel that this
is the community consensus, to the "page-pages"
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal_process

> 3. Maybe the most important question, which value is it gonna be?
> Quonset_hut, romney_hut or nissen_hut?

these are fairly similar, still they are different (that's not always the
case with different names, but here it seems to be). There are even more
variants, e.g. Iris huts. If you look al althios proposal prefabricated,
that's not completely bad, just a little too short.
building=prefabricated_hut and then a subtag if you want to be more
explicit, would work fine. Something like barrel_hut seems to imply a
different kind of object.

Cheers,
Martin