[Tagging] Mapping leats

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Fri Apr 21 11:20:18 UTC 2017

On Friday 21 April 2017, John Sturdy wrote:

>   waterway=canal
>   canal=leat
>
> vs
>
>   waterway=leat

waterway=canal is for larger artificial waterways only.

Our current tagging scheme for artificial waterways is not very
consistent because it derives essentially from three originally very
specific but at the same time only vaguely defined types
(canal/drain/ditch).  Creating yet another equally specific and equally
ill defined type (waterway=leat) will not improve that.

I would suggest sticking with the three established types and adding
service=* and width=* as it applies.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/