[Tagging] Disaster response

Micah Cochran mcochran at athensal.us
Mon Apr 24 19:34:19 UTC 2017

> Similar to public fallout shelters in the US

> The closest evacuation center to my house has different “classifications”
listed - as in what kinds disasters it is good for. this means if we are
tagging evacuation sites - there needs to be some kind of usage/shelter
type / disaster type data.

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 1:39 AM, John Willis <johnw at mac.com> wrote:

> On Apr 18, 2017, at 9:24 AM, Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> wrote:
>
> Another thing to think about is the planned location of shelters, and to
> tag places that are pre-designated as possible shelters
>

> if a region or a country has designated evacuation sites/refuges/shelters/
> for evacuees to use, mapping them with some granularity might be very
> useful.
>
> Similar to public fallout shelters in the US, many public places in Japan
> have signs designating them as a "place of refuge” if an earthquake/tsunami
> forces you to leave your house. They are usually open-air places (school
> yards, parks, etc) to minimize the chance one could be unusable from a
> severe earthquake and inevitable fires afterwards in cities. They are often
> places with a large covered shelter (a gymnasium or other reinforced steel
> building that could be used as shelter from the weather), such as a middle
> school, in the rural areas.
>
> The closest evacuation center to my house has different “classifications”
> listed - as in what kinds disasters it is good for. this means if we are
> tagging evacuation sites - there needs to be some kind of usage/shelter
> type / disaster type data.

I have found the tagging for this type facility lacking.   I was
specifically looking at this for tornado and hurricane shelters, and I
wrote up a little something and was planning to post it at a future date.
Maybe it contributes to the conversation (or maybe not).

I am looking for a tagging scheme for public and semi-public
(business/industry) places of refuge during a severe wind event (tornado or
hurricane).

The United States Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) calls these
"safe rooms for tornado and hurricanes".  (Cyclones and typhoons are
synonyms for hurricanes.) Terms for classifying this might be "storm
shelter" or "severe wind safe room" might be a good way to classify this.

These are places that people go to for a limited amount while there a
threat is predicted/present.  For tornadoes people go to these places for
just a few hours, and for hurricanes people might be a there for a couple
days.

Safe room can also mean panic room, which is a reinforce portion close off
portion of a house to occupants seek refuge from intruders breaking in.

(If people are displaced, they will typically have to relocate to a
temporary disaster shelter.)

Existing features that are slightly similar:
1. amenity=shelter with  shelter_type=weather_shelter is for a wilderness
hut to get out of the rain or a thunderstorm.
2. amenity=social_facility + social_facility=shelter, which is a shelters
for the homeless, refugees, and domestic violence cases.

The weather shelter tagging seems wholly inadequate, and also
amenity=shelter includes picnic shelters, which I'd be mad if I ended up at
a picnic shelter during a tornado.

Some of these are single use facilities are single purpose.  Others are
multipurpose facilities that are within other spaces such as
classroom/meeting space it may be within a school or church.  The space is
open for a place of refuge when there is a weather threat.

Other information about the pertinent information to tag about the shelter
is operator, address, toilet, kitchen, access=public/private, power, phone,
radio, tv, communications equipment, wheelchair accessibility, and more?
For the US, it might be nice to tag if it meets the FEMA P-361 standards.

Other similar types of shelter that I know little about are
war/bomb/fallout shelters.  Also, there are fallout shelters, but in the
US, these are almost forgotten Cold War relics.

Micah Cochran