[Tagging] Rivers classification

henkevdb mail at henkevdb.be
Tue Aug 15 10:44:22 UTC 2017

I have a topic started at Belgium forum about tagging waterways, and
found a link about 'Flanders classification-system'  ->
https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=659424#p659424

Also, me thinks ; 'keep it simple' ... meaning ; all things, and also
waterways can have a wikidata-code-number ->
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Main_Page

which links to wikipedia (and other links), and there, on wikipedia can
one find/define then a broad description of that waterway(or other
'thing') .

Also, we, on OSM , have often to choose between ;

'very small' waterway = *ditch* (or some tag it as 'drain' ) *width < 1
meter *

'small waterway' = *stream  width 1 - 3 meter*

'big(ger) waterway = *river  width > 3 meter*

that's my thinking about ->

the commonly accepted rule for OpenStreetMap is that a stream can be
jumped across by an active, able-bodied person
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:waterway%3Dstream>

<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:waterway%3Dstream>