[Tagging] Fire hydrants vs suction_point

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 23:40:55 UTC 2017

On 21-Aug-17 09:18 AM, marc marc wrote:

>>      The simplest (and in many case the only) way to tranfser hydrants
>>      attributes to GPS is to put them in waypoints names.
> you can also just use the same as you did in the past, as you do not use
> the name of the osm tag anyway

Do not use the name tag. If you must, possibly use the tag "description=*"?

>> For sake of simplicity, fire_hydrant: and suction_point namespaces
>> should be avoided as done for fire_hydrant:position
> fire_hydrant:flow_capacity could also just be the already existing key
> flow_capacity

Pipe lines would also have a flow_capacity, as would canals, drains.
Humm pipeline uses the tag capacity ... I don't think that is a good fit with present OSM use of that tag.

In the interests of having a more universally applied tag I'd rather have a tag "flow_capacity=*" as a property tag much like length, height etc.