[Tagging] Fire hydrants vs suction_point

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 07:06:44 UTC 2017

On 21-Aug-17 04:10 PM, François Lacombe wrote:
> Hi,

> <mailto:61sundowner at gmail.com>>:
>
>     On 21-Aug-17 09:18 AM, marc marc wrote:
>
>                  The simplest (and in many case the only) way to
>             tranfser hydrants
>                  attributes to GPS is to put them in waypoints names.
>
>         you can also just use the same as you did in the past, as you
>         do not use
>         the name of the osm tag anyway
>

>     Do not use the name tag. If you must, possibly use the tag
>     "description=*"?
>

> The problem is on GPS side.
> Viking explained the GPS he use only take POI with a name field
> without additional attributes.
> Then it's harder to distinguish presurized hydrants vs suction points
> but not impossible : concatenate water_source with ref or arbitrary
> label (hydrants don't usually have names) and you're done.

Rendering/use issue.
All the maps will use the name tag to display that information .. even
if they don't want it?

If Viking needs a POI file derived from OSM then that derivation can
combine the description into the name value.

>     Pipe lines would also have a flow_capacity, as would canals, drains.
>     Humm pipeline uses the tag capacity ... I don't think that is a
>     good fit with present OSM use of that tag.
>
>     In the interests of having a more universally applied tag I'd
>     rather have a tag "flow_capacity=*" as a property tag much like
>     length, height etc.
>

> +1 on idea
>
> Capacity is used several hunder thousand times but flow_capacity never
> (fire_hydrant:flow_capacity about 7k).
> Since capacity definition is "The tag describes the capacity a
> facility is suitable for", it can fit for pipelines, hydrant, canals,
> drains... in m3/s or m3/h, can't you ?

The values of capacity are typically a single number - 2, 4, 10 etc They
mostly reflect the number of car parking spaces available. So it is a
unit less number - not l/h or m^3/s etc.

fire_hydrant:flow_capacity has over 6,000 uses ... distribution is
mostly Europe .. no wiki page as yet, needs one to state default units
as most of the values have no units, only some have l/min etc.