[Tagging] Deprecating of leisure=common and leisure=village_green

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Fri Dec 1 10:36:54 UTC 2017

Strictly speaking "common land" in England and Wales is a kind of access
qualifier, and doesn't imply anything about land use, surface covering
or ownership. It's a bit like "public footpath", in that the rights are
(to some extent) enshrined in law.

So leisure=common would indeed be technically speaking a bit strange in
England/Wales, although saying "let's go play/for a walk/... on the
common" are (were, at least) quite normal. See wikipedia [1] for an
explanation of the status of common land in the UK. At [2] there is some
government guidance for England.

Town and Village Greens *can* be registered as such to give them some
degree of protection (e.g. against development). They may also be Common
Lands at the same time, but they may not. So if landuse=village_green is
indeed about land use, then it may be correct in that regard but that is
orthogonal to the legal status of the land in question. Lots of info
about TVGs from the Open Spaces Society at [3].

--colin

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_land

[2] https://www.gov.uk/common-land-village-greens

[3] http://www.oss.org.uk/what-we-do/village-greens/