[Tagging] Deprecating of leisure=common and leisure=village_green

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Sun Dec 3 00:06:52 UTC 2017

W dniu 03.12.2017 o 00:15, Adam Snape pisze:

>  Yes, OSM is a global database, but that is not to say that
> country-specific feaures ought not to be explicitly tagged. OSm is - I
> think - a great means of recording such diversity. I don't
> particularly see a problem with tags being used to mean subtly
> different things in different countries as long as there is
> consistency within countries. I don't expect features tagged
> leisure=nature_reserve or highway=secondary in the UK to be very
> similar to similarly tagged features in Botswana.

Using local tags when needed for locally specific objects is good, but
it's better if they can be described in a neutral way when possible. And
for example using "village green" in the city is not a subtly different,
but rather a common rough stretching the meaning just because it was
there (because of the UK roots of OSM).

This is a great opportunity to migrate some old tags to something better
suited for a global project:

1. Of course "landuse=village_green" have some sense (like using a
popular term), but something like "landuse=village_common" would be even
better at the end of the day, because:
- this is more accurate description what such area is meant for (general
public area in a village)
- "green" might not be necessary there (like in the African village) and
it's easy to add this property as a separate tag when needed
- it would be universally usable and still true in UK, because in
reality it's not a UK-only type of object
- it's hard to know for a data consumer if "village green" is real or
just a result of blurring the lines

2.  Definition of "leisure=common" shows that it's not about leisure
only, so it makes sense to:
- move it to landuse/leisure=recreation_ground if that's the real meaning
- move the rest to "landuse=common_ground"  for example - or something
similar in the "landuse" namespace
- this would be also more accurate description and allows to have more
trust in the meaning of the tag for a given object

Deprecation some tag schemes does not mean disregarding the existence or
importance of the objects they are applied to. It's about data quality
and usability.

What do you think about it?

--
"My method is uncertain/ It's a mess but it's working" [F. Apple]