[Tagging] Planned rendering changes of protected areas

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Sun Dec 3 04:00:11 UTC 2017

I wrote the summary of the thread I started on Talk list regarding
protected areas and nature reserves:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/kocio/diary/42861

It's sometimes hard to tell which list is proper, because both tagging
and rendering are discussed, so I guess such summary might be
interesting here. Please, read the linked entry for detailed
explanation, but in short I think we should:

1. Discourage leisure=nature_reserve and make it a subtag of
boundary=protected_area (if needed, otherwise just use a protect_class=7
or other class if known), like:

   - nature_reserve=yes - 2 uses
   - protected_area=nature_reserve - 22 uses
   - protected_area=nature - 61 uses

2. Drop boundary=national_park, since it's easy to identify them all and
they are equivalent for boundary=protected_area + protect_class=2 anyway.

--
"My method is uncertain/ It's a mess but it's working" [F. Apple]