[Tagging] "building=college" tag missing from building key page

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 21:35:42 UTC 2017

On 8 December 2017 at 04:56, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com>
wrote:

And, although I'm well aware that UK English is the standard for OSM
> tagging, this tag will continue to cause confusion

Which is the problem we keep hitting that OSM tries to use one word
worldwide, when it means different things in different countries.

Here in Australia, "college" usually refers to "university", but I know of
a number of "schools", that are named College, that cover Prep (Pre-school
/ Year 0) through to Year 12. In one case, the school is spread over 3
separate parcels of land, for Prep-6, 7-9 & 10-12! How do you tag that?

I'd much prefer something like 'landuse=education education=secondary'.
> We can dispute the precise tagging, but 'college' is just too
> overloaded.

I agree

landuse=education

education=preschool (? - should that be included in primary?) / primary /
secondary / tertiary  (& possibly post-grad ?)

Wouldn't that cover all options, fairly neatly?

In the case I mentioned above, it would still be named College, but the
three areas would be =primary, =secondary & =secondary

Thanks

Graeme