[Tagging] sidewalk unsuitable for wheelchair

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 21:35:23 UTC 2017

sent from a phone

> On 10. Dec 2017, at 18:47, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> When adding sidewalk=yes|left|right to a road, I often encounter situations where wheelchairs can not use the sidewalk. Common causes:
> lowered-kerb access missing
> trees or lamp posts or traffic signal poles narrow the passage
> surface quality is too bad (potholes)
>
> I would like to indicate such situations with something like
> wheelchair:sidewalk=no
> wheelchair:sidewalk:left=no
> Have I overlooked any existing tagging?
>
> Any better suggestions?

this isn’t only interesting or specific to wheelchairs, other users of sidewalks like people with a stroller or kids with bikes have similar requirements and there are different kinds of wheelchairs. If you can, add a width in case of narrow or obstructed sidewalks.

I wouldn’t tag potholes or generally bad surfaces quality as wheelchair:qualifier=no, neither would I do it for a missing lowered kerb, as it is a limitation for some while it isn’t for others and there is neither a legal restriction nor is it clear who can actually pass and why from a generic tagging like this.

Ciao, Martin