[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (Fire Hydrant Extensions (part 3))

Moritz osm at moritzmueller.ee
Wed Dec 20 11:21:53 UTC 2017

Hi,

> It depends on what characteristics are important to you.
>
> "water driven" is power transfer medium so pump:power_medium=water.
> This
> is not the energy source! It doesn't say if the water has
> potential/kinetic energy due to gravity, or if it itself is being
> pressurised by a powered pump (e.g. hydrostatic drive)
>
> "integrated" is to distinguish from something else? What would be
> alternatives to a pump being "integrated"?
>
> "bilge pump" is about its function, so something like
> "pump:function=bilge"
>
> "in a well" is about its location so "pump:location=bottom_of_well"?
>
> How about the type of pump? Centrifugal? Reciprocating?
>
> And the medium that is being pumped? In this context it is probably
> water but in general a pump could be used for all sorts of stuff.

Let me explain, what the idea of adding pump tags to hydrants in the
proposal is:

In Germany we have fire water wells whose geodetic suction head is > 7.5
m (in theory water can be
pumped up to a suction head up to 10.3 m (1013 mbar pressure, water temp
4 °C, but due to losses
real level is lower).

To allow the fire engines to pump water from those wells, one of two
types of pumps
are integrated into the well:

* Electric pumps
* Bilge pumps

Maybe bilge pump is not the right word for it, but dictionaries proposed
it ;)

For running electric pumps you have to bring a power source.
The bilge pumps are driven by water. So you have a second set of
couplings
to pump water to the pump and get it back into the fire engine's tank.
This
water will drive the pump. The well has a third coupling which outputs
the
pumped water.

The idea is now to add this information to the hydrants/wells that the
firefighters/whichever data
consumers can easily see if they have to setup an additional power
source (generator or fire engine)
before getting water.

If this is the case I personally would evaluate if there is a hydrant or
well nearby where the water
is more easy to access.

What about

pump=yes|electric|water_driven

> This will need a whole proposal to get a comprehensive description for
> pumps.
> I think we should only use pump=yes for now and wait for a more
> complete
> document to be written.

I disagree, that would make the proposal useless. Then only wrench and
check_date would be left.

Moritz