[Tagging] traffic_signals:lanes? (specific signal types for certain lanes)

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed Dec 27 04:23:56 UTC 2017

On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 5:04 PM, yo paseopor <yopaseopor at gmail.com> wrote:

> I will not discuss here if continuous_green would be a realistic value
> with full possibilities in a future. But according to taginfo [1] there are
> only 6 nodes around the world.
> Also I am asking myself: if continuous_green is continuous green
> really...is it usefull for the map? (because there is no action here, it
> would be a traffic light, a painting, or some big commercial ad pannel in
> the middle of the highway).
>
> In this case I think it would be more useful and accurate to separate the
> left lane a couple of meters before it really does and put a traffic signal
> for this new way with one lane that turns left. I think it would be
> unusefull to put a traffic signal on the other way with continuous green.

Only similar situation I can think of was where the west end of US 30
BYPASS met US 30 at the northwest ramp of the St. John Bridge in Portland
until sometime around 2005.  The arrangement was such that all three
eastbound lanes of US 30 had a traffic light (two general access lanes and
a bicycle lane.  Westbound, the two left lanes had a full signal (a general
access left turn lane and a general access through lane), then there was a
set of no-lane-change stripes to the right of that, then a general access
through lane with a permanent green through arrow, and a bicycle lane with
a permanent green through arrow.

US 30 was then (and still is now) a single carriageway with no separation
at that location; wouldn't be accurate to add a median where there isn't one