[Tagging] Notary Office

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 17:13:36 UTC 2017

> My point is, it is growing faster not because it is good, but because it
> is in the JOSM presets. Mappers who chose it didn't think twice about which
> tags JOSM places on the objects.

yes, I can understand your frustration because apparently the makers of
JOSM have hijacked the notaries and the numbers of "their" tag are now
growing quite fast, due to the prevalence of JOSM. ;-)

Please, take a step back and look at both tags, without insisting on the
"first come first served" rule, are there really good arguments to tag
notaries as subclass of lawyers? Why is a different "main tag" worse (in
other words, say the same with one tag rather than 2, do not require
"exotic" subtags like lawyer=* to be looked at)?

IMHO the office=notary tag is ok (and useful, I'd see this more useful than
the office=lawyer tag, because occasionally everybody might be in need of a
notary for various reasons (in Italy you even need one to buy a car), while
even if you might also need a lawyer, you will likely need a lot more
information (specialization, references, etc.) to choose one, while for the
notary any will probably do.

Cheers,
Martin